If you have been following this blog for a while, you have become familiar with the now, world famous, “10 Rules for Dating my Daughter” T-shirt. We literally had interest in this shirt from over 48 countries. Apparently the idea of a Dad protecting his daughter and laying down some rules is not just an “American” cultural thing. If you have thus far missed all the hub-bub, click this link to see the blog post that went round the world and stirred an interest.
In light of my publishing the “10 Rules for Dating my Daughter”, a friend forwarded to me the “10 Rules for Dads of Daughters.” Tony Dungy, Super Bowl winning football coach and strong Christian man gives much of his time to social & family issues. He has an effort called “All Pro Dad” which I recommend you looking at.
He recently published the “10 Rules for Dads of Daughters”
- Love her mom – Treat her mother with respect, honor and PDA.
- Always be there – Quality time doesn’t happen without Quantity time.
- Pray for her
- Dance with her – Don’t wait for her wedding day.
- Tell her she’s beautiful – Say it over and over again.
- She’s a butterfly – She too will spread her wings and fly someday.
- Write her a hand written letter – Every year on her birthday.
- Give her the gift of experiences – fishing, fixing things, taking her places etc.
- Never miss a birthday – She won’t remember the presents you give her.
- Don’t be late – She will eagerly await your return home from work.
That’s a pretty good list. I wonder how you are doing against that list? Why don’t you circle a couple of those right now and make sure to DO them this coming week. Even better would be to show this list to a friend and hold each other accountable for your intentional actions. Seems like if we just “let things happen,” some of the really important things get squeezed out by the really urgent things.
I know you would agree that your daughter is “really important.” Please don’t let the urgent issues at work or life take over. Start working down the list TODAY.
Click the banner below if you want to pick up our new book. It is available in soft cover, hard cover and e-book.