Yesterday was Valentines Day. Or as some of my unmarried friends put it….
“Single Awareness Day”
I wanted to pass along a brief text conversation between my daughter and I on Valentine’s Day. I certainly didn’t engage in this conversation with Brittany for the sake of this blog. I was simply wishing my daughter a happy Valentine’s Day and then convey a brief related thought. It was her response that made me chuckle and I thought it was worthy of passing along to you all. I must admit that my daughter has been a good sport through all of this. She was happy to participate in the book Prized Possession and enjoys reading this blog. At least “mostly” enjoys.
Below is the text conversation I had with Brittany on Valentine’s Day and then a couple of thoughts.
Key Points of the TEXT
1. “Happy Valentine’s Day” (wishing her a great day)
2. “Don’t ever forget that I was your FIRST Valentine” (and love) (a little reminder never hurts, especially as she gets older)
3. “Love YOU” (again, a little reminder never hurt)
4. “Make sure dude treats you like a Princess” (she has a “guy her in her life” and I wanted to make sure to remind her that the bar is HIGH)
5. “Princess” (We acknowledge God as King of the universe and this God thinks of her as “Daughter.” That makes her a “Princess.” A subtle reminder of who my daughter is and WHO’S she is. And to remind her to think of herself in that way.
6. “I Know Dad” – YES! Success! She knows all of the above.
Questions for you Dads
Have you communicated these truths to your daughter? …lately? ….ever?
Are you certain that she knows these truths?
Ultimately your daughter is going to have to make her own choices and live her own life. But let’s remember that your consistent input will greatly determine the road she travels. Your love and affirmation of your daughter will be a game changer for her and set her up on a great trajectory for life.
Don’t miss out on this guys!