Chances are – if you are reading this blog, you are attempting to be a great father. Thank you! I want to challenge you to stand in the gap and perhaps be that voice as well in the lives of your kids’ friends, your neighbors, your nieces and nephews, and those who may not have a father making those same efforts. Your voice is more important than perhaps we may understand.
I read an article called “Standing in the Gap – Rescuing this Fatherless Generation” by JE Caterson recently in Soul Magazine with some powerful statistics.
- 90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes – 32 times the average
- 85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average
- 80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes – 14 times the average
- 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average
- 85% of all youths in prison come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average
(SOUL Magazine – Issue #23)
Those statistics are shocking! A father or father figure is imperative in the lives of young people. Please don’t underestimate the power of the model you give to the young people watching you – those directly under your care and those who watch you because they don’t have a father to look to in their own lives.
How do you do that – how do you as a father make a difference in the lives of your own children as well as stand in the gap for those who are without? JE Caterson gave some good advice, he says, “We have a desperate ache to be loved, supported, affirmed, and encouraged by our fathers. Those who have missed out on this have a tremendous wound…God has promised us that He is our perfect Father: the one our earthly father could never be. No longer do the fatherless have to be crippled in their condition. They can break the cycle by finding their worth in Christ, living out His Word and being fully present fathers to their children.” (p54 – SOUL Mag, Issue #23)
Thanks for standing in the gap!
Father’s Day Shopping RIGHT HERE!