Not long ago I had a high school girl tell me how much she missed the dates that she and her dad used to go on when she was little. Life had gotten busy and hectic and dad probably thought she wasn’t interested anymore now that she was 18 and had her own boyfriend. Not true!
Dads – I challenge you to take time in the next month to go on a purposeful date with your daughter. Plan a meal out for the 2 of you and while you are waiting for your order have fun with some questions for each other. You can use the lists below or come up with your own. I had a dad tell me recently that he did this with his daughter and they both loved it. Simple – you can even just print this list and bring it to dinner 🙂
10 ?’s for dad to ask daughter:
1) If you could do anything in one day – what would your day look like?
2) What is one thing I should know about you that maybe I don’t?
3) What has been the best day of your life so far and why?
4) What is one thing you wish I did with you more often and why?
5) How do you think we are similar?
6) How do you think we are different?
7) What is one thing you wish I didn’t do?
8) What do you want to be when you grow up and why?
9) How can I be a better dad to you?
10) What is your favorite movie and why?
10 Questions for daughter to ask dad:
1) When you were young what did you want to be when you grew up?
2) What was the hardest thing for you when you were my age?
3) What is your favorite movie of all time and why?
4) What is your favorite memory of growing up?
5) How were things different when you grew up?
6) What do you think is the most important thing a parent can teach a child?
7) How do you think we’re similar?
8) How do you think we’re different?
9) What made you fall in love with mom?
10) What do you like about your job?
Have fun with these and hopefully this can be a springboard for many conversations to come 🙂
PS – we have a book of fun challenges like this one in a handbook called “30 Day Challenge” you can find in the store.